Skip to Content
Home | services | U.S. Passports and International Travel

U.S. Passports and International Travel

Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure that all your travel concerns are addressed. Some of the most commonly asked questions my office receives are below to help you prepare:

What steps should I take to help me stay safe abroad?

Planning ahead can help ensure your time abroad is both enjoyable and safe. Read the U.S. Department of State’s Traveler’s Checklist here to find out things to consider before you go. You should also enroll in the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to ensure you receive the latest security updates from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate should an emergency arise.

How can I renew my existing passport?

If you already have a passport that is not damaged, was issued in the past 15 years, was received after your 16th birthday, and has your same name, you can apply for a passport renewal by mail. For more information on renewing your passport, visit the Passport Renewal Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.

I can't wait for the normal six week processing time for my application. Can I request an expedite?

Yes. For an additional fee, you can request expedited processing which normally takes two weeks. For more information on expediting processing, visit the Expedited Service Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.

If you would like my help with passport issue, please print out the Authorization Form below and fax or mail it to my office. If your request is urgent, please call my district office directly at 330-599-7037 or 440-783-3696.

Privacy Release Form


Back to top